Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unit Review Compendium
Star 
This thread will serve as a compilation of the reviews I have created for Units of the Day.

This thread is currently a work in progress. I'll update the thread with units and clean up this post over time.

The units will appear in the order that they appear in game. I will include slots for every unit, including units that are not featured in the Units of the Day. I may even write reviews for the missing units, once I'm done with everything else.

This thread will remain closed, with each post dedicated to a unit. For now, any discussion of this thread can occur in my other daily unit review thread. I'll also post any important updates about the progress in this thread there, although for now just assume that this is a massive Work In Progress and may not be very complete or interesting for a little while.

Update: I'm going to post the first unit in the game, Groff, here in this first post. That way, the number of posts in this thread will correspond with the number of units in the game.

------

[Image: B3nRSkt.png]

= Groff =

Type: Hunter
Cost: 1 Gold
Rarity: Common
Front: 1 Attack
Back: 2 Defense

--- Placeholder ---

lolgroff
[Image: nt0C6wY.png]

= Kaite =

Type: Recruiter
Cost: 2 Gold
Front: 2 Attack
Back: 3 Recruit

Usefulness:
- Low to Moderate

Kaite is the lame duck of the 2 cost 3 recruit club (Kaite, Ench and Pep). While ostensibly serving the same function, it's a specific niche that tends to be far less useful in Gold decks. More over, Kaite doesn't have any additional useful tricks, such as Pep's 1 Defense which can be buffed by Protect or Fortify, or Ench's ability to buff Dogpack units.

Deck Building Strategy:
- ???

If you need more recruit in your deck, you are better off with units like Remi or Durant who will at least produce some Gold for you if they are all that you can hire early on.

I really can't think of a gold deck that benefits from this particular style of unit.

Tactics:
- Recruit

No useful tricks here, so it's just recruiting all day for the most part. If recruit is super important to you, keep Kaite in safer spots. If recruit is less important to you, put Kaite in the line of fire to take the hit for more valuable units, and consider replacing Kaite with Remi or someone else if she's so disposable.

Xyn's Buyer Recommendation:
- Don't Buy

You don't need Kaite. Maybe at some point there will be a strategy that takes advantage of her skill set, but I don't believe there are any right now. It's not a horrible unit (although it could use some gimmick like Pep and Ench have), but it just doesn't tend to fit well in the Gold deck dynamic.
[Image: ekD7kXm.png]

= Tarim =

Type: Vanguard Knight
Rarity: Uncommon
Front: 3 Attack
Back: 1 Recruit

Usefulness:
- Moderate to High

Ramm's weaker little brother. Due to potentially screwing up your T1 draws way worse than Ramm can, Tarim is a bit risky to use. But 3 solid Attack for 2 gold is not to be ignored for rush decks, and even in Knight decks his relative cost to potential power ratio can be worth the risk.

Deck Building Strategy:
- Rush
- Knight Rush

Tarim doesn't belong in a deck that doesn't have speed in mind. In general, he's best left to rush decks that don't rely on economy units, so that if you have to hire him on T1, it's not such a bad thing. Of course, your rush deck should mostly be comprised of units who can be hired on T1, so that won't be an issue on either end.

In a single Arthur knight deck, Tarim can do up to 7 Attack, which is pretty great for a 2 cost unit. In a 2 Arthur deck, he can do up to 11 Attack, which is phenomenal. If you do use Tarim in a Knight deck though, keep the deck as small as possible, and use no Knights more expensive than 4 cost. A Commander Knight can be especially helpful to round out a Knight Rush. In general, 1 Arthur is safer for a Knight Rush build, but 2 Arthurs are possible, and provide far better stopping power against comparably fast decks.

Tactics:
- Attack

There are times when Tarim's Recruit is more useful than his Attack, but in most of these situations I find that it's still of marginal value. I like to place him in the back row mostly to try and keep Economy units safe from Arrow, and the 1 recruit is just a nice little bonus. For the most part, outside of a rush deck, you want to avoid hiring Tarim unless he's either your only option to hire, or you've already hired everybody else you need that turn and have enough left over to grab him. In a Knight deck, Tarim's real value comes from being such a cheap unit to buy once you have Arthur out.

For Rush decks, and for actually using Tarim for something other than a meat shield, it's all about Attack. 3 Attack for 2 cost is an excellent deal.

- Buy if you need it

If you are a couple units short of a good Rush deck, or only have 4 to 6 Knights for your Knight deck, grab a Tarim or two, He's not my favorite Knight (that would be Hale), but he's solid as a stand in, and even great in some decks. He may be quick to be cut from your Knight deck as you gain other Knights, but at the gem price of an Uncommon, he's not a bad purchase to help you maximize Arthur.

Just remember to keep any deck with Tarim as small as possible, and with plenty of other better units who you can hire on T1.
[Image: rUw1NFi.png]

= Ramm =

Type: Knight
Rarity: Uncommon
Back: 1 Gold

Usefulness:
- Very High

Ramm is just a good unit to have, period. If you don't have two, you should. Most useful in all types of Knight decks and rush decks, you really want two in your collection.

Deck Building Strategy:
- Knights
- Rush

Ramm has a big leg up on Tarim because he produces 1 gold. If you only get Ramm on Turn 1, you can have him produce and (hopefully) be able to sell him to buy two Johnn's/Harden's/May's on Turn 2, or at least get a 3 cost unit like Durant or Gerren. There are a few, very slow Knight decks that would be better off not including Ramm, but in general he is more benefit than detriment to most Knight decks. As with any Knight deck, Arthur and Covar are your best friends, along with as many other Knights as you can reasonably fit in (no more than 7 though).

For rush decks, his production doesn't usually even matter much. He's just a good, affordable amount of Attack. Also he can get buffed double by AtkSquire, which is always handy. Pair Ramm with units like Rucke, Rowa, Tarim and Andor, and maybe a Flip for maximum speed and attack power.

Tactics:
- Rush Attack
- Economy
- AtkSquire/Arthur buff

If you have a rush deck, you usually just want to throw Ramm front row right away. Only sell him or put him back row if you have a good reason.

For Knight decks, you usually want to throw him back row early on to help your economy. Only put him front row without Arthur or an AtkSquire unit if you need to slow down an opponent's rush.

Finally, when it comes time to go for the kill with a Knight deck, obviously you want Ramm front row, buffed Arthur, or even AtkSquire if possible. Just don't over protect (or over buff) your Ramm instead of more expensive Knights, as he can be repurchased very easily if needed.

- Buy it if you don't have two

He's an uncommon, so he's pretty cheap. He's also a very important unit to have for many Gold decks. Everyone has an Arthur, and if you don't have 7 Knights, you don't have the strongest Knight deck you can currently make. More over, I'd take Ramm over Tarim any day, so even if you already have 7 Knights, I'd suggest having at least 2 Ramm in your Knight deck over pretty much any other knight other than Hale (and perhaps a cheap Knight Commander).
[Image: 5udVlLf.png]

= Domino =

Type: Mountain Theif
Cost: 3 Gold
Front: 1 Wound
Back: 1 Recruit

--- Placeholder ---

Poor, poor Domino.
[Image: WrLyVdJ.png]

= Abban =

Type: Soldier Veteran
Cost: 3 Gold
Back: 1 Gold, 2 Defense

Usefulness:
- Moderate-ish

What is there to say about Abban? What isn't there to say? I have no idea. He's about as middle of the road of a unit as you can find. He's certainly not outright bad, but he's just not really excellent in any way.

Deck Building Strategy:
- Back Row Defense

The main reason to use an Abban is if your deck is lacking in back row Defense. Throwing a few units like Abban into your deck can really help stop an arrow heavy opponent in their tracks. Abban is a decent choice as well, since he doesn't screw up turn 1 draws, and produces a little gold as well.

In general, I'd tend to favor units like Midras and Gerren more, as they focus more on production than Defense, but against heavy amounts of Arrow Abban will hold up much better.

Tactics:
- Spaced Back Row Defense

Remember to strategically place your back row Defense units. Placing a unit like Abban right above a Defenseless Healer is always a good tactic, although you should be sure to keep both units moving around so they don't become obvious targets. Try to spread your back row Defense out so that as many units as possible get protected from being multi-wounded, although in general having more of your higher Defense units towards the top is usually the way to go.

- Meh, buy one if you really need it. Maybe...

A Common is pretty cheap, so if you are majorly lacking in back row defense, maybe grab 1 Abban. It's not a huge investment, and he's not a bad unit for the job. On the other hand, there are many, many units who are far more worthy of your gems, so unless back row Defense is your one major need at the moment, I'd skip Abban.
[Image: gRr0Zl4.png]

= Epherius =

Type: Paladin
Cost: 4 Gold
Rarity: Rare
Back: 2 Healing

Usefulness:
- High

Epherius is a unit who I've never been overly fond of. It's not because he's bad, I just usually regret using him instead of Evelyn. He doesn't offer the powerful healing solution of a Cook or Jolien or a Commander with a bunch of Healing, nor does he offer the light minimalistic healing solution of an Evelyn or a Chloe I feel like he's only fallen off my radar further lately as new units have come out.

But he is a good, solid unit. He costs 4 which makes him very easy to put into almost any deck, and he offers a good, cheap, mid range healing solution. 1 Evelyn and 1 Epherius together can be pretty effective against most wound decks, without sacrificing any of your early game speed.

I think that my biggest gripe with Epherius is that he's a Paladin type, but he doesn't have 1 Paladin as his front row ability. I think that this would be far more interesting even though you would lose all function against decks that don't use any Wound. It would turn him into a mini Cook, allowing for some very interesting tactics, and push him over the edge to be a far better option than Evelyn in certain situations.

Deck Building Strategy:
- Mid-healing

If you need a moderate amount of healing, Epherius is a solid option. This is really something you just have to play around with to see if he works for your deck.

Tactics:
- Healing

If you don't think your opponent is going to wound you at all, you can send Epherious front row, or to help stop a rush. Otherwise, you should keep him in the back row and in a safe spot, all the time, just in case.

- Don't Buy

Epherius is good, but I'm not sure he's 'buy a rare' good. If he sounds like something your deck needs, you could get him, but otherwise I'd hold off on him.
[Image: yfQ2KCN.png]

= Jonas =

Type: Farmer
Cost: 6 Gold
Rarity: Rare
Front: 1 Wound
Back: 4 Gold

Usefulness:
- Moderate

He's not as good as Horus, but for most economy purposes he's almost as good. He can also pair well with Horus for the Farmer King buff. In general there are often more interesting and dynamic options for Gold deck economies these days, but Jonas is still decent.

Deck Building Strategy:
- Mid level economy

Jonas' front row is rarely important. You want him for his economy, and he does a fine job. Additionally, if you pair him with Horus, he can get the Farmer buff.

Tactics:
- Economy

Leave him back row almost exclusively. 1 wound is almost never wroth bringing him to the front row. Only bring him front row if you have no need for +4 gold next turn and really want to try and do some light wounding. Also, if you have a Horus, only put Horus in the front row if you have at least 4 or more Farmers in the back row (or unless you REALLY need his 4 attack in front).

Buyers guide:
- Don't Buy

There are better producer options out there right now. Buying a Jonas isn't really necessary right now. The cost is still a bit high for a unit of Jonas' utility.
[Image: md55wZH.png]

= Hector =

Type: Soldier General
Cost: 4 Gold
Front: 4 Attack
Back: 3 Recruit

Usefulness:
- Moderate

Hector is pretty much the definition of a mediocre but semi-useful unit. Really he ought to have 4 recruit though, so he is a bit sub par.

Deck Building Strategy:
- Recruit

If you have a deck that could use some extra recruit, but don't want to screw up your T1 draw with a Kaite, you could try Hector. It would be better if he had 4 recruit though, because as Hector currently is, Durant is probably closer to what you want.

Hector's 4 Attack is decent and can come in handy sometimes, but isn't quick or cheap enough for a rush deck and is too weak for the late game of most other types of deck.

Tactics:
- Recruit
- Attack

If you need the extra Recruit, go ahead and put him in the back row. His Attack is a better value though, so put him front row whenever you can spare the Recruit.

- Don't Buy

As a common, he's cheap. But he just isn't really that useful, so I can't recommend buying him outright.
[Image: RPl8x1f.png]

= Payne =

Type: Barbarian Troll
Cost: 5 Gold
Rarity: Ultra Rare
Front: 2 Wound
Back: 1 Heal

Usefulness
- Moderate

Payne can be somewhat useful in some decks, however he is largely invalidated by Beck. Beck costs 4, is able to block one unit from acting (even if the unit across from Beck has 1 or more Defense, unlike Payne), and has the same 1 Heal in the back row. Beck's only downside is that he doesn't wound the unit across from him, which can help you overwhelm an opponents healing sometimes, but since you don't prevent that unit from acting it isn't really useful enough to make up for the much higher difficulty in hiring a 5 cost Gold unit vs a 4 cost one. Oh, and Beck can also potentially hit back row units if he doesn't have any front row units in position to be hit. So yeah, basically use Beck instead of Payne.

Deck Building Strategy:
- Trolls

Maybe if you want a Troll with some healing, with the option to sometimes Wound some enemy units, to help buff your Vago's in the back row of a Troll economy deck, he could be worth using over Beck. Even then I'm not sure.

Just use Beck instead.

Tactics:
- Situational Rows

Really, there isn't much reason to use Payne in either row without cause. Unlike Beck, Payne can't hit the back row when he has nothing in the front row to hit. If you don't have any wounded units and don't have any enemy units in their front row to wound, you should just put Payne wherever you prefer. Keeping him in the front row can allow him to wound anyone your opponent throws in the front row, putting him in the back row can keep you safe against unexpected wounding.

Once you actually have a specific reason to put Payne in one row or the other, move him about as necessary. He's a very reactionary unit.

- Don't Buy

Payne used to be a little weak. Maybe not worth a buy, but it was debatable. Now, with Beck being definitively better (and Uncommon to boot), there is no real reason to use Payne, much less go out of your way to buy him.