Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed Nerf to the Transform Mechanic.
Wink 
As a long time transform user, with a commander utilizing this ability sitting at over 800 victories, I want to offer my opinion on it. On the other forum, it has been mentioned from time to time that transform needs to be buffed in order to stay competitive against similar mechanics like matriarch. While discussions like this are worthwhile, I would prefer it if this thread would just talk about the proposed nerf.

Essentially, as it can be seen in the video below, it is possible with transform to bring out end game units incredibly early. (Turn 3 on the video.) This works because, when you have drawn all available units in your deck and you are about to reshuffle your deck, transform will search for the first unit in your deck creation list. As seen in the deck used, which has also been posted below, this would be Spike. This leads to an unfair situation for your opponent, as you can very easily disrupt huge portions of their economy, or end a rush strategy with little to no counter play.

When confronted with this situation, there are multiple ways to go about fixing this. You could simply remove transform on commanders. While this may be easy, it ruins other strategies that do not take advantage of this flaw. Likewise, you could make transform cost more on commanders then it currently does. This, however, also has the flaw in which it would ruin or nerf other strategies that use transform. Likewise, you could do what was done with Matriarch and cause you to lose health when your commander uses transform. This, however, wouldn't nerf the strategy at all. Early damage in Highgrounds, unless you are playing with a rush army, generally doesn't contribute much in the end game.

Or, you could add more RNG aspects to transform. To clarify, when I first began using my transform commander, I had no idea that this forced transform mechanic existed. I had figured out, however, that transform usually searches through your units that you hadn't yet had the chance to recruit before searching for random units throughout your entire army to turn into. This still allowed me to force transform into end game units I desired, but made it much more difficult to do, and with a lot more luck involved in it. I had to wait until I had one or two units left to draw. If either one of those were the end game unit I desired, I would transform my commander (and Abbie if needed) in order to achieve the same effect. This is slower, granting your opponent more turns to set up their defenses, but still remains competitively viable since you are able to pull out a variety of powerful units in the end game.

To conclude, the mechanic in which you are able to force transform with 0 units left in your deck needs to be replaced with the ability searching through all of your units, and choosing one randomly, much like it does when you have units left to draw. Nerfs to transform in regards to cost or HP penalties will either not suffice, or hurt transform too badly and make it nonviable.

I am open to discussion on this topic, and would love to hear other's opinions.

Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxJKRps...sp=sharing
Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxJKRps...sp=sharing
At least it takes 1 turn before it can act. *cough*
from memory, this bug has worsened, this used to only apply after fully recruiting your units. I think it has been reversed so that it only happens before you recruit all units. Idk. But yes I agree it is an issue to look at.
It's, from what I understand of how Transform works, whenever your deck is empty or effectively empty (no cheap-enough units).

By the way: This is the only way I find Pyras viable now, and we tell people about this bug when they say they're making a Transform deck. It's not very powerful, even still.

But geez, I haven't even considered using it with Transform Commanders.
(12-03-2014, 07:55 AM)Raijinili Wrote: It's, from what I understand of how Transform works, whenever your deck is empty or effectively empty (no cheap-enough units).

By the way: This is the only way I find Pyras viable now, and we tell people about this bug when they say they're making a Transform deck. It's not very powerful, even still.

But geez, I haven't even considered using it with Transform Commanders.

I actually have not tested to see if it works like that. That is news to me. Haha. You can more easily manipulatr thr units that you have not yet drawn, though. I would probably stick with my current strategy.
In regards to Pyras, Abbie is indeed the better unit. I use Pyras, however, because this deck does not deal a lot of damage, and the two Spikes are more then enough wound. People probably do not have that much sucess with it because they run decks with a lot of units, and a lot of units to turn into. 14 unit armies, and only a small handful of end game units, (I think I use 5-6 every deck,) is more than enough to suffice.

And yeah. I am the only one that I am aware of that does this. My ign is Sacrebleu, and I use about 8 competitive decks that utilize this ability.
I just tested this (no recruit) & I can't reproduce the results. Perhaps it only involves commanders?
Self proclaimed Highlord of Highgrounds

I dare you to say my name properly!
You mean you sorted your deck from highest cost to lowest and then you saw how you transformed when you had 0 cards in deck?
(12-05-2014, 05:40 PM)Raijinili Wrote: You mean you sorted your deck from highest cost to lowest and then you saw how you transformed when you had 0 cards in deck?

I changed the arrangement yes, but tried it with normal recruit, similar to the vid. I found no bias with Ool nor Ob.

Odd. I never get a bad card with my deck if the draw pile is empty.
(12-06-2014, 11:39 PM)Raijinili Wrote: Odd. I never get a bad card with my deck if the draw pile is empty.

I tested with my draw pile still not empty, the thing you experienced is a confirmed bug. However, in his vid, his draw pile wasn't empty 100% of the time, so I thought I'd have a look.

Edit:

1st transform had 4 units out, with 5 recruit. There's no way his draw pile could be empty. What should be a 1/5 chance. (or 3/10 if you include Era)

2nd transform had 6 units out, also with 5 recruit. Draw can't be empty again. 1/8 chance for Spike, 1/4 for Spike or Era

After that, it the same familiar bug.

The little number in the corner is the current size of the draw pile.

Cards aren't shuffled until you try to draw a card and the draw pile is empty. Or maybe if all the cards aren't...

Huh. Does Matriarch force shuffles sometimes?