Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frozen on generating world screen
I played one game that worked perfectly. Once i died I exited the game. I came back later to start a new game but the game froze on the generating world screen. I've restarted the game close to ten times, each time when i start a new game it will freeze on the generating world screen. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the local content on steam but no dice. Im playing on osx 10.9.5
(04-13-2015, 12:13 AM)Johan Wrote: I played one game that worked perfectly. Once i died I exited the game. I came back later to start a new game but the game froze on the generating world screen. I've restarted the game close to ten times, each time when i start a new game it will freeze on the generating world screen. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the local content on steam but no dice. Im playing on osx 10.9.5

Happened to me as well. Seems to be an issue with the save file. Tried "delete local content" (from the steam menu) and re-installed it, but steam sync must have saved the file and restored it.

The way I fixed it was to go to the local directory containing the save, and deleting everything but the HeroGenerations app (so, I deleted saveBlueprints.xml, saveHistory.xml, saveLeaderboard.xml, saveOptions.xml, saveTutorial.xml, and probably most importantly, saveSlot0.xml). After this, I was able to start up a new game fine. This (obviously) deletes any previous saves you have, and is really a short term workaround for what is definitely a bug that needs fixing.

Further, I think this contributes to a different bug I've been experiencing (putting here in case the developers read these, which I hope they do). The further I get into a game, the worse lag spikes get. It becomes difficult to even to move around the map it gets so bad. There are long pauses in between battles, and when transitioning into shops 'n such.

Anyways, my (more or less totally uneducated) guess is that both of these are a direct result of the save system. The save file is much larger and more detailed (*cough xml*) than I would have expected. Is the game constantly re-reading, modifying, and writing that file between every action? I don't know. Hopefully my rambling will at least point the devs in the right direction. If you/they have any questions about what I'm running into, feel free to ask!

Btw, I'm also on a mac. i7, SSD, some mid-range nVidea graphics card.
Yep that works. Is definitely in need of a long term fix though
Hi! I've just released a fix build that should resolve this. Take a look here, make sure to grab v1.15 from steam, and let me know if you still have problems: http://heartshapedgames.com/forums/showt...hp?tid=345
Founder, Lead Designer on Hero Generations
http://www.twitter.com/brodiegames