Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Endless Crashing
Mac user here. I've tried playing the game and any time I get around generation 2/3 or play for about 15 minutes, the game just lag-crashes. I literally lose the ability to do anything on my computer, click anything at all, and have to force a reboot. Sometimes the game screen will go black and crash, sometimes the graphics of the game will explode and it'll crash, and sometimes, maybe 1/10 times it will actually let me exit while it's crashing, but most of the time my computer is completely frozen and I have to reboot. I generally don't have anything else open or running at the time of the crash either so my computer should be perfectly able to handle the game.
Author, writer, and gamer here, ready to test and glad to be here! Currently writing The Drifter which is sure to be one of the greatest novels of the century once I get it published!
Hi, sorry to hear the game isn't behaving well. Could you pass along any more details about your computer, operating system, etc?

Any idea if you have any flash-based applications or websites running at the same time or in the background? this still shouldn't be an issue, but I've seen the game degrade in performance when multiple flash applications are running at the same time, so I figured I'd ask.

I guess this is what Betas are for! we'll get it fixed.
Founder, Lead Designer on Hero Generations
http://www.twitter.com/brodiegames
MacBook OS X Version 10.9.5

Processor : 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory : 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics : Nvidia GeForce 320M 256 MB

There were previous instances where I had webpages open and it crashed but afterwards I tried a few without anything running, right after start up, still got the crashes around 15ish minutes in. Just in case I'll try checking for flash updates and software updates for everything. I honestly don't mind my crash-filled version since I know it's a beta! As long as we can get it fixed before release Big Grin

Edit - Updated everything and still crashed my computer. Poor... poor computer... Unable to play the beta of the greatest game of the next few thousand generations.
Author, writer, and gamer here, ready to test and glad to be here! Currently writing The Drifter which is sure to be one of the greatest novels of the century once I get it published!
Thanks for the extra info, I'll put some time into investigating this and other Mac specific issues this week.

If you can find a Windows machine in the meantime, that build seems to be working okay!
Just to update, it still crashes with the newest build. I think it's something to do with the graphics and flash because it always has a sort of graphical lag or a broken sort of screen (kind of like a puzzle) right as it's crashing. Maybe this will help, maybe it won't, but either way I hope you can find a way to recreate it cause that's all I can do after about ten-thirty minutes of playing.
I've fixed a number of crash bugs over the last month. I'm hoping to have a new version of the beta out in a few days, so it would be great to have you start a new game when that is released and see if you see any improvement. I'll of course ping the forum, social media, kickstarter, etc when the new version is available.
(01-15-2015, 05:56 AM)scott Wrote: I've fixed a number of crash bugs over the last month. I'm hoping to have a new version of the beta out in a few days, so it would be great to have you start a new game when that is released and see if you see any improvement. I'll of course ping the forum, social media, kickstarter, etc when the new version is available.

And still it persists. I even tried downloading it on steam and playing that version instead but to no avail. Whatever is happening that freezes my computer and forces me to shut down is clearly just this game's way of telling me "No. You don't get to play me." I've been here over six months with no progress to it. If updates for the mac occur, I'll try again but I doubt anything will change. I am simply cursed to never play this fantastic game.

Sad
Hi! I've just released a fix build that should resolve this. Take a look here, make sure to grab v1.15 from steam, and let me know if you still have problems: http://heartshapedgames.com/forums/showt...hp?tid=345
It did not. I tried again twice. First time I didn't even make it three minutes in before the program's graphics just completely bugged out. It hadn't frozen yet though so I had time to quit. Tried again and this time the game froze, my computer froze, and I waited about 3 minutes hoping maybe it was just being a little glitchy. Much to my surprise, the screen entire went black, then went to a plain gray screen which said "Your computer restarted because of a problem." In English and about ten other languages.

I looked into this and it's the mac's Kernel Error and I found this info if it helps --

"If you are a software developer, booter settings and debug flags may cause different symptoms for kernel panics.
In most cases, kernel panics are not caused by an issue with the Mac itself. They are most likely caused by an issue external to the Mac. If the kernel panic doesn't happen again within a few weeks, you don't need to troubleshoot further."

I hope this helps somehow!
Okay thanks for the report Hydrawolf. Can you just confirm for me that the build you are playing does say v1.15 in the bottom left corner of the main menu, and that you ran the "Clear Data" feature from the settings menu? Thanks.