Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highgrounds 2.0 Update is live!
The Highgrounds 2.0 Update is here! This update represents months of work on my part to identify all of the big issues with the game, and I'm really excited to finally release all of the new changes. This post lists all of the sweeping changes, but if you want to dive right in, head over to http://www.highgroundsgame.com or our newest platform partner, Yahoo Games (not live yet, but should be up shortly). Here is the full change log!

"Invasion" Expansion Set!
  • 29 brand new units, 9 new abilities!
  • New "Invasion Pack" in the store for 400 Gems
  • New card-back icon in hover UI over invasion units.
The goal of the Invasion expansion set is to bring the full character set into balance. That means:
  • You'll notice a few more commons and legendaries in this set then in previous expansions. 
  • You'll notice that certain factions have more cards than the other this time around. 
  • You'll notice that there are more units that support mixed-faction strategies.
  • You'll also notice that a lot of the units have Types that help flesh out some existing strategies (Barbarians, Trolls, Raiders, Skeletons, etc), so that you can now build more competitive decks across the game.
  • New abilities that bring the game back to its roots. You'll find that unit order and placement are going to matter a lot more. There are also many more clear counters to some of the edge case strategies in the game that made unit order stay stagnent (Snipe combats placing big units in the first front-row slot; undercut lets you wound units in the bottom of the opponent's back and front rows more easily)

All-new Game Shop & Starter Bundle!
  • 60 Unit Starter Bundle: This is a super discounted bundle you can purchase 1 time only. You'll get 3, 16 unit decks crafted in partnership with some of our expert players. You'll also receive 12 additional support units in your collection that make creating mixed-faction decks much easier. The Starter Bundle is 2000 Gems and can be found on page 2 of the shop!
  • Unit of the Day! Each day, a new single unit is made available for direct purchase, but the sale only stays for that day. Check the shop (or the unit on the base camp screen!) each day to see if your favorite unit is available. We also have a twitter bot (linked below) that will notify you when the daily unit refreshes.
  • Single Unit: we heard your requests for lower priced ways to get new units, and added a random single unit pack for 20 Gems.
  • Mini Booster Pack: with the same goal in mind, there is now a 200 Gem pack that gives you 7 random units, still with a chance to earn an ultra rare! For daily players, this gives you a choice of whether to get some units after a few days of completing quests, or continue to save up for the 400 Gem Core/Invasion packs.
  • The Core Booster Pack and Commanders Pack (our previous expansion) options still remain.
  • New lower Gem Prices: $5 = 450 Gems, $10 = 1100 Gems, $20 = 2300 Gems, and $50 = 5700 Gems!
  • Commander Re-specs now cost only 250 Gems, and new commander slots cost 700 Gems.
Feature Improvements!
  • Top-level quests button lets you see all available goals that offer free units and gems.
  • Revamped base camp UI.
  • Daily multiplayer event is now the "Main Event", and all goals are now based upon a total of 3 games instead of 5. Special goals now only require 2 wins instead of 3. This change should make it much easier to complete goals, and more fun because it takes less time to see some rewards for your progress.
  • Revamped "New User Experience". Brand new players and guests will see an improved tutorial, and will get access to multiplayer/the base camp much sooner.
  • New special effects for new and old abilities.
  • Deck editor now has a cost breakdown graph that helps with managing your deck economy.
  • Support for Yahoo! Games and Yahoo payments added for that platform.
Community Features
  • You can now join the Highgrounds chat room while playing on any platform. Join here: Highgrounds Chat Room
  • We now have a twitter bot that posts the unit of the day. Follow @highgroundsgame and be the first to know what new unit is on sale.
Balance Changes & Bug Fixes
  • A variety of broken menu-flow paths are now fixed
  • If you have no games in your games list, you are now taken directly to the start a new game screen.
  • Roll-over text bugs
  • Additional common gold units added to campaign rewards list.
  • Crafting costs have been reduced for multiple conversion options.
  • Removed problematic abilities from commanders (Drain)
  • More tips added to matchmaking waiting tips list.
  • Grom unit has proper edition label, which fixes associated crafting bug.
  • Recent Balance Changes to existing units:
  • Ryun: back row defense down to 1
  • Shadebeast: back row crystal down to 5
  • Sliver: Now revenge 5, burnout 11; recruit 3 in back
  • Grove: Cost 5 (revenge 3, dormant; arrow 1, wood 2 in back)
  • Xane: cost down to 3 crystal, 2 wood.
  • Igmund: cost 7, Frenzy, burnout 8; recruit 3
  • Anrick: Cost 10c
  • Lynaia: Cost 10w, (wood 3, Frail; matriarch 1)
  • Sigil: lowered cost (3g, 3c)
  • Domino: now Type Mountain Thief
  • Pitt: Type changed to Fighter
Thanks to all of you for your support, and please let me know what you think of the update and new units!

-Scott Brodie
Lead Designer, Programmer, Highgrounds
Founder, Lead Designer on Hero Generations
http://www.twitter.com/brodiegames
First for 2.0!

Time to go get some new units and start taking notes.

Thanks Scott! Thank you Heart Shaped Games team!
Yes! Thank you!

Just imagine what life would be like without HSG :'(
I think there may be some kind of glitch in the drop rates or something. I just purchased 4 invasion packs and got Eezic as the Ultra Rare all four times. I figured something was wrong after the 2nd pack, but got a third pack just to be sure and accidentally clicked the purchase button a 2nd time.

Prior to this i was crafting commons into uncommons and noticed some similar strange behavior. The 10 commons kept turning into the same unit until i had 2 of them, then they would move on to another unit until i had 2, etc. There was some deviation from this, but it mostly stayed consistent giving me two of each.

When i crafted commons into commonS, everything seemed appropriately random again. But when i crafted uncommons into rares, it started with the doubling behavior again.

Thanks to the fact that you can't craft more than 2 of every unit, ait didn't end up being a big problem for me there. But i fear that if i get any more packs, im just going to keep getting nothing but Eezics Sad
Any new units / abilities list?
That's coming tomorrow C:
Self proclaimed Highlord of Highgrounds

I dare you to say my name properly!
Yay, this feels like springxmas!
Already got all new Cs and UCs, got 5 new Rares (repeated, but guess I'm missing some) and 2Eezic and 3Lanir. Total, 24 new units, mising at least the Legendary Slaen... that would be 5 unknown units yet... wonder if any more URs (if not, people with more than 2000 coins will get repeated ones for sure)
Whew. Tried buying an Invansion pack today and I got a Lanir. Hopefully it was just a temporary glitch, because that kinda sucked.

Yay Lanir! Just after I played a game against one, and really wanted to get one!
(03-17-2015, 08:11 AM)Xyn Wrote: I think there may be some kind of glitch in the drop rates or something. I just purchased 4 invasion packs and got Eezic as the Ultra Rare all four times. I figured something was wrong after the 2nd pack, but got a third pack just to be sure and accidentally clicked the purchase button a 2nd time.

Prior to this i was crafting commons into uncommons and noticed some similar strange behavior. The 10 commons kept turning into the same unit until i had 2 of them, then they would move on to another unit until i had 2, etc. There was some deviation from this, but it mostly stayed consistent giving me two of each.

When i crafted commons into commonS, everything seemed appropriately random again. But when i crafted uncommons into rares, it started with the doubling behavior again.

Thanks to the fact that you can't craft more than 2 of every unit, ait didn't end up being a big problem for me there. But i fear that if i get any more packs, im just going to keep getting nothing but Eezics Sad

I opened two packs so far, back to back. The ultra-rare, rares, and uncommons were exactly the same in both packs (the commons did differ).

Now that I think of it, in the past, I have very rarely bought packs back to back. But one of the few times I did (possibly the only time I ever did) I remember opening the same ultra rare twice in a row.
Regarding similar drops - the Invasion expansion is a little imbalanced in terms of rarity, because the set was more about balancing out the distribution in rarities over the total 240+ characters in the game. So for Ultra-rares in particular, there is a smaller pool to draw from, resulting in more dupes. You are probably going to have more luck crafting up ultra-rares after buying a few packs if that is your specific goal.

I was hoping to have the highgrounds matrix updated with the new units so I could show this more easily, but I can't get in contact with the creator of that site. I'm slammed work wise, but I'll try to find a way to get a list of of the new units out somewhere for collection purposes.
Founder, Lead Designer on Hero Generations
http://www.twitter.com/brodiegames