Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highgrounds Update From Devs
Scott,

I acknowledge that fixes are not in the immediate future due largely to technical restraints. However, you are still able to make adjustments to the 'Shop' section. And, you were able to port some player data to another host when Yahoo Games shut down. So, some limited manipulation is still possible. Let me ask you this:

Could you simply remove Eezic, Lanir, Fog, and Sarr from the database? That one move would instantly eliminate over 90% of the problematic issues in Highgrounds. And, it would create a fair and level playing field for all of the users.
Never argue with a hobgoblin. It'll just amuse him more.
I appreciate you looking for creative ways to improve the game. The things we have the ability to change without touching code are things that are not baked into the "client" (the flash swf). In hindsight I wish more had been exposed on the serverside as data, but we only have a small set of things. Specifically we can change the prices in gems of packs in the store + their descriptions (that's how we can still do sales); the types of Gem Packages (though I think we may have some client "double checks" that prevent us from doing a ton with that either); the welcome message for new players; and a few old weekly tournament variables.

We also have tools that let us access player's game collections and stats for customer support purposes. The Yahoo migration you mentioned were done by hand on an individual basis, using that system. There isn't much I can do without code to accomplish what you are asking.
Founder, Lead Designer on Hero Generations
http://www.twitter.com/brodiegames
(04-04-2017, 08:26 PM)scott Wrote: I appreciate you looking for creative ways to improve the game. The things we have the ability to change without touching code are things that are not baked into the "client" (the flash swf).

I'm addicted to this game you've created, so I don't want to give up on a solution. Still thinking outside the box...

Back in the day, I played the original fully immersive MMORPG, Everquest. I remember them having two distinct types of servers set up: PvP and non-PvP. All other aspects of the game were identical. The only difference being whether or not players were allowed to freely attack one another.

Could you set up a separate "sandbox" for honorable players who don't want exposure to the exploits/imbalances? I understand that in this case the new rules would not be hardcoded -- imbalanced cards would still exist in this "sandbox". However, the welcome screen would alert gamers that use of those units is prohibited in this area. Therefore, it would be considered cheating to use the imbalanced units. Thus, restoring balance to the game via the honor system.
Never argue with a hobgoblin. It'll just amuse him more.
I came here from the game, and seeing that it seems kinda dead I searched for the devs and found this. Also found that you made some other games, so I told my friends about your game "Road not taken" (I couldn't have bought it myself cause I don't have a paypal account) hoping it helps a little bit, because I do not believe that you shouldn't be able to create something you want to create because you cannot afford it. Wish you luck!