Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help!
Hello!

I am a new player (about 1 week). I finished all of the campaign levels and now I'm kind of stuck. I don't plan to put any money in the game yet, but don't know how to make some progress. I complete all the daily solo chalenges and that gives me one unit and 10 gems, and I get 1 unit from multiplayer, but rarely get any gems as rewards, as I loose almost all of the games. The problem is that it always matches me with players, that have their decks full of ultra-rares and even legendarys, while I have a few rares. As I said; I don't know how to progress, it would be better if I could at least win that extra 20 gems from the 8000 points multiplayer goal.

As I see it now, it would take me months at this rate to get a good deck. Do any of you guys have any tips to share with me?
What I did personally, was do the solo goals for a while, and got a booster for 200 gems. I got lucky, and made an OK army. I've been playing for a month now, with the same basic units, only changing it up a bit. I still lose a lot of games, but I've gotten off not too badly.
In case you some how missed my awesome guide, Here it is.

One known exploit to help get gems faster is that there is no mandatory rest on multiplayer matches, at the very most you'll lose 32 matches to get the reward. A new expansion is also on its way (Soon ^TM), & when it does arrive, there'll be tons of experiments by every one, leveling the playing field a bit.
Self proclaimed Highlord of Highgrounds

I dare you to say my name properly!
Thank you both very much Smile. I read the awesome guide and it was very helpfull. I'll have enough gems to buy one booster today.
Rarity is an odd thing in this game. You can have a killer deck that has no Ultra Rares or Legendary's at all. You can also have a (well made) deck that is loaded with Legendary's and Ultra Rares and get beaten multiple times in a row by decks of far lesser rarity.

At the same time, I won't say that having Ultra Rares is unimportant. Many Ultra Rares and even Legendary's unlock strategies that would otherwise be unavailable, often times quite powerful strategies.

I guess all I'm trying to get at is that deck building is one of the most important skills of the game. What units you have matters, but not nearly so much as what you do with them. And while some tactical decisions are critical to increasing your win rate, having a well built deck (with as few units as possible) is probably more than half of what goes into winning a battle.

When I first started playing the game, I clung to whatever worked. I probably played the game for a good several months before ever having more than one multiplayer deck at a time. It's not that the deck wouldn't change, it's just that usually when I made a change to the deck, or when I built an entirely new deck, it was such an improvement that I had no reason to go back to the old deck. Eventually you get enough units to where you maybe have two completely different decks that are both somewhat competitive, and from there you can slowly start expanding into A) a greater number of competitive decks and B) more experimental and "just for fun" decks.

Without spending money, it will be a bit of a grind, which is to be expected. Not an unfair grind IMO, but it will take a bit of time. If you enjoy the core mechanics of Highgrounds, I'd definitely recommend sticking with it, either by doing the daily gem grind or by paying money, whichever suits you at the moment. The game was fun for me early on, but only got more fun as I started being able to put more strategies into practice.

There are still some fun styles of deck that I can't build because I'm lacking certain units, so as always, don't focus so much on what units you are missing as much as what units you have. Look at what other peoples decks are doing, ask questions of those that are willing to share, and try and figure out what the best win techniques you have available are with your current selection of units at any given moment.

Are you playing on http://www.highgroundsgame.com/ ? There is an IRC chat at the bottom of the page there where you can get tips from other players (if they happen to be on and paying attention to the chat). If not, you can log into that same chat from a stand alone client while playing highgrounds on another site (I don't remember the information, I'll look for it when I can).
(02-07-2015, 06:30 PM)Xyn Wrote: Rarity is an odd thing in this game. You can have a killer deck that has no Ultra Rares or Legendary's at all. You can also have a (well made) deck that is loaded with Legendary's and Ultra Rares and get beaten multiple times in a row by decks of far lesser rarity.

At the same time, I won't say that having Ultra Rares is unimportant. Many Ultra Rares and even Legendary's unlock strategies that would otherwise be unavailable, often times quite powerful strategies.

I guess all I'm trying to get at is that deck building is one of the most important skills of the game. What units you have matters, but not nearly so much as what you do with them. And while some tactical decisions are critical to increasing your win rate, having a well built deck (with as few units as possible) is probably more than half of what goes into winning a battle.

When I first started playing the game, I clung to whatever worked. I probably played the game for a good several months before ever having more than one multiplayer deck at a time. It's not that the deck wouldn't change, it's just that usually when I made a change to the deck, or when I built an entirely new deck, it was such an improvement that I had no reason to go back to the old deck. Eventually you get enough units to where you maybe have two completely different decks that are both somewhat competitive, and from there you can slowly start expanding into A) a greater number of competitive decks and B) more experimental and "just for fun" decks.

Without spending money, it will be a bit of a grind, which is to be expected. Not an unfair grind IMO, but it will take a bit of time. If you enjoy the core mechanics of Highgrounds, I'd definitely recommend sticking with it, either by doing the daily gem grind or by paying money, whichever suits you at the moment. The game was fun for me early on, but only got more fun as I started being able to put more strategies into practice.

There are still some fun styles of deck that I can't build because I'm lacking certain units, so as always, don't focus so much on what units you are missing as much as what units you have. Look at what other peoples decks are doing, ask questions of those that are willing to share, and try and figure out what the best win techniques you have available are with your current selection of units at any given moment.

Are you playing on http://www.highgroundsgame.com/ ? There is an IRC chat at the bottom of the page there where you can get tips from other players (if they happen to be on and paying attention to the chat). If not, you can log into that same chat from a stand alone client while playing highgrounds on another site (I don't remember the information, I'll look for it when I can).

Thank you for all the help. Today everything went much better. The deck I created is way stronger than the last one (thanks to my new booster) and it helped me win 4 out of 5 MP battles. I just wish there was a deck building guide somewhere.
Your wish is my command!

(Although I think I'll focus more units than actual army building)
Self proclaimed Highlord of Highgrounds

I dare you to say my name properly!
(02-07-2015, 11:52 PM)Impronoucabl Wrote: Your wish is my command!

(Although I think I'll focus more units than actual army building)

That would be just awesome!