Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux x64 - Unable to run
Hi!

I'm unable to run the game in xubuntu 14.04 x64
uname -a
   Linux <hostname> 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:28:38 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

After downloading the game I had to make the file executable
   chmod +x HeroGenerations.bin

Then when I run it I got an error related to missing libraries
   ./HeroGenerations.bin
./HeroGenerations.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I listed the missing libraries dependencies and found 4
Code:
   ldd ./HeroGenerations.bin | grep not
libSM.so.6 =- not found
libXtst.so.6 =- not found
libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 =- not found
libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0 =- not found

I installed the 32 bit version of them
Code:
   sudo apt-file search libSM.so.6
sudo apt-get install libsm6:i386
   sudo apt-file search libXtst.so.6
sudo apt-get install libXtst6:i386
   sudo apt-file search libgstreamer-0.10.so.0
sudo apt-get install libgstreamer0.10-0:i386
   sudo apt-file search libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0
sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386

Then I tried to run the game again and got 2 more erros, one at a time in a dialog box. I installed the new missing libraries:
Code:
   libXt.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sudo apt-file search libXt.so.6
sudo apt-get install libxt6:i386
   libssl3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sudo apt-file search libssl3.so
sudo apt-get install libnss3:i386

I  tried the game again and got the output below and a gray window in the center of the screen. The HeroGenerations and Xorg processes are using about 70% CPU
./HeroGenerations.bin
Code:
(HeroGenerations.bin:8227): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "crux-engine",

(HeroGenerations.bin:8227): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "crux-engine",
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.15) Gecko/20101027 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.3
(...)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.15) Gecko/20101027 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.3
onsize
DoResize
onsize
DoResize
onsize
DoResize
onsize
DoResize
onsize
DoResize
onpaint
SetWindowToInstance
socket id = 540003e
plug_added_cb

Can anyone help me?
I'm definitely not familiar enough with the Linux environment to know exactly how to troubleshoot. Over the next few days I'll try to rally some linux friends to try out the game and look at this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience - the Linux version is definitely the least tested version at the moment.
Founder, Lead Designer on Hero Generations
http://www.twitter.com/brodiegames
I'm at a similar point. Already had the 32-bit libraries installed since I play a number of games that require them, but on launch it just gives me a blank window.
Just tested version 1.03 and it still has the same problem... Anyone was able to play this game in Linux yet?
I was just going to do a call to see what the state of the linux build was - sorry to hear it is still broken. If anyone has been able to successfully get the game to run on linux, please share your steps, OS, etc.

I have a friend who was able to get it to run successfully earlier in development. I will look over his note and see if I have any tips to share. This is definitely a priority for me over the next month.
These are my friends instructions, but they are from awhile ago so the build may have introduced bugs of some kind. Worth a try:

1. I had a x64 ubuntu running
2. first, I had to install ia32-libs
3. Then I had to rename the file to hg.bin (the extension is the important part) [note: I have already changed the file extension to .bin, so perhaps you need to change it to something else on your system?]
4. after that, it loaded up fine
From what I could find out, "ia32-libs" were removed from Ubuntu since version 13.10

There are some ways to force the install of this old outdated package like described below:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23182...rusty-tahr

I did that and it still didn't work, I get the same behavior. Probably I already have so many incompatible/outdated libraries in my system now that they are causing some kind of conflict...

Anyway, installing "ia32-libs" should not be the solution to the problem, since it's an old/outdated package. Does the game run fine, without installing additional libraries, in a Linux 32-bit system?

Since I'm using the latest LTS edition of Ubuntu, the one supported in Steam, I think should be able to play without adding additional packages...
http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/
I've just downloaded the 32 bits version of xubuntu 14.04 and run it inside Virtual Box. I don't get the missing libraries errors but the game has the same behavior has the 64 bits version in the physical machine. It opens a black window (version 1.02 opens a grey window) and nothing more happens.

I'm able to run the Windows version of the game inside Virtual Box, although the CPU is always at 100% and the game is super slow.

In case you can export the game to a flash file (SWF), I would like to try it until a native Linux build works fine.
Just tested version 1.04

It still doesn't work...
Hi guys,

So I have been swamped with getting some other core game features together, as well as working on the Steam implementation for the game, so I have not been able to put a focus on debugging the issues with the Linux version just yet (a hazard of being a 1-man team). But I do want to filll you in on where we stand, and what the underlying issue most likely is. The alpha build we released around the time of the Kickstarter was confirmed to work on Ubuntu x64. A concern I have is that the issue may be due to flaws in the middleware I am using to wrap my swf into a traditional executable for all platforms. That middleware (Zinc 4.0 by mdm) seems to have not brought it's Linux support up to the same level of compatibility as Windows and Mac in their most recent versions. Specifically, the game needs support for Flash 13 and Stage3D, which the starling engine we use under the hood is built around.

Even worse, it seems as though mdm has more or less abandoned development of Zinc since I first committed to using it for Hero Generations last year. My hope is that once I investigate, there will be a fix available and shipping a working Linux build won't be an issue. But in all transparency, I'm not entirely sure if there will be a an easy fix using the current planned implementation. If that ends up being the case, there _should_ be other options (AIR app? encrypted swf?) for shipping the Linux version, but they may end up being more time consuming than I had budgeted for.

I'll absolutely follow up with this thread as soon as I have a chance to dive into this issue, which will probably be after February as I address a few higher priority tasks. Thanks a lot for your patience, and I'm sorry getting a Linux version of the Beta together didn't go as planned.