Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hero Generations and the BLind
Question 
Hello,

I'm writing as someone who just saw Hero Generations announced on Twitter. I'm a huge fan of rogue-like games in general, because I'm totally blind, and the genre has a very strong track record of being playable using screen reading technology.

I'm wondering if any thought has gone into making HG accessible in this way? In general, if a game is text-based, playable from, say, the Linux console, it should be possible to make whatever changes are needed to make it fully accessible.

I also note that there seems to be an iOS version, and while accessible iOS games are not as plentiful as they should be, they are definitely possible.

I realize this is a somewhat unusual request, but would really appreciate any thought that could be put into it. Choices for blind accessible games are limited, compared to the variety available for the sighted. I'd appreciate any information on making this one work. I'm more than wiling to answer questions or provide help if I may.
Thanks much for your consideration Smile
Hello,

Thanks for the question. Admittedly, that wasn't something that was on our radar, so we appreciate you raising the question and bringing it to our attention! We're always open to make games that are accessible to all players. Could you point me to any screen reading technology you use so we can investigate?

We're a pretty small team, so I can't make any promises but we're happy to investigate!

Kate
-----
Kate
Heart Shaped Games
kate@heartshapedgames.com
@katebrodz
(04-08-2016, 12:10 AM)Kate Wrote: Hello,

Thanks for the question. Admittedly, that wasn't something that was on our radar, so we appreciate you raising the question and bringing it to our attention! We're always open to make games that are accessible to all players. Could you point me to any screen reading technology you use so we can investigate?

I'd be happy to. The screen reading technology really depends on the platform I'm using. For Windows, the most popular option is Jaws for Windows, http://www.freedomscientific.com. I wouldn't expect anybody to pay the ridiculous price they demand, but the 40-minute demo is at least a good way to test for accessibility.

Linux is easier, I use Speakup, http://www.linux-speakup.org. This is honestly the best platform for playing rogue likes, as it has excellent support for tracking the location of the cursor, which is usually use to show where the player character is.

Finally, for general information, this Roguelike Radio podcast is worth a listen, http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2012/10/ep...ually.html.

I don't mean to overwhelm you with links. Smile I hope this is a decent starting point. I'm always happy to answer more specific questions.
This is super helpful! Thank you. We will definitely give that podcast a listen and keep the linux information in mind as we go through development.

We appreciate you giving us all this information, and in general, being an advocate for this!

Kate
-----
Kate
Heart Shaped Games
kate@heartshapedgames.com
@katebrodz