Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Raid King' ability is broken
Avon doesn't attack when facing off against any unit with defense. To be clear, Avon takes no action when a unit with defense is positioned across from him. So for example: Avon could be powered x10 attack strength, but all it takes to completely neutralize him is a unit with 1 defense. This bug seems to be very consistent. I have yet to see him attack a unit that has defense.
Never argue with a hobgoblin. It'll just amuse him more.
Ok, I've just reproduced it. I'm going to guess Avon generates 1 attack then applies a multiplier equal to the number of raider in play. If this is true, then I'm also going to test Ifirm, since it should also affect her too.
Self proclaimed Highlord of Highgrounds

I dare you to say my name properly!
The unit description states: "Generates 1 attack per raider in the army." That would mean if there are 10 raiders in play, then Avon generates 10 attack. What you described would make the ability even more conditional than it already is. If that's intentional (not a bug), then it should definitely be explained in the unit description. But, I hope that's not the intention because that would modify the way attack and defense works to a degree that makes it unnecessarily complicated for players. ("This unit generates an additional X attack only if its *initial* attack surpasses the opponent's defense level." -- Too clever by half in my opinion.)

Also, if Avon were functioning the way you described (generates 1 attack, then applies multiplier) then I would expect to see the attack animation (he steps forward, swings at opponent, opponent blocks, and he steps back). But this does not occur. Watch carefully, he does not even move -- as if he is taking NO ACTION at all. So, I don't think it is a matter of him being blocked. It instead seems as though he is skipping the attack phase entirely when lined up against a defensive unit -- even more mysterious! (I'm an amateur programmer, so I can appreciate a good bug squashing.) Speaking of which, I hope you guys can fix the sniper bug. Whenever I fall victim to it, I'm always left wondering if my opponent was cheating or if the move was only by chance.
I'm not actually a dev, but I have played ALOT of highgrounds. I do think this is an unintended bug, I was just outlining what I thought was really happening. Compare it with a similar ability like zealot, making it ignore defence should solve it.

- This unit generates an additional X attack only if its *initial* attack surpasses the opponent's defense level.

This is true for all multiplier abilities, since defence is always applied before multipliers. As a result, defence is a soft counter to gamble, although I'm not sure if this is intended or not. (It also applies to rampage units, but that kinda defeats the point)

One of the things I've noticed, is that if you generate attack, but all of it is blocked, no attack animation will play, you can test this your-self. It's actually why I think this is a defence problem & not a turn skip problem.

As for the sniper problem, most of the community tries to avoid abusing it (since we're all cool & that), though there might be a few players who don't. You can politely ask them to change deck, or not abuse the bug, that seems to work for me. Big Grin

(Or just use paladin to counter snipe)

-> This unit generates an additional X attack only if its *initial* attack surpasses the opponent's defense level.

>This is true for all multiplier abilities, since defence is always applied before multipliers.

I was unaware of that. Since most 'King'-type abilities by-pass defense, I never encountered this issue before. In that case, I agree with you that modifying Raid King to also bypass defense would seem to be the quickest/easiest way to level it to the other "kings".

Regarding sniping, sometimes it can't be helped. For example if I've pushed my other units forward to run up the score. And there have been a couple of times when someone exploiting the bug cost me the match. Did they do it on purpose? Who knows. I just wish Heart Shaped would squash the sniper bug, so it's no longer an issue.
Follow up on 'Raid King'...
I tested Avon some more. Powered x5 was blocked by 1 defense. During the battle sequence Avon did produce the "ding" sound effect as if he clashed with a defensive unit. This supports your theory that he is attacking x1, then applying the multiplier after the initial strike. However, I had 'Crow' in that same army: "Deals attack equal to the amount of damage taken by the city." When Crow lined up against a defensive unit, the multiplier was applied FIRST, so his attack worked properly. This demonstrates that the HSG developers do have the proper code for calculating incremental attack abilities. It should simply be a matter of copy/pasting most of the battle sequence function of 'Frenzy' and applying it to 'Raid King'. If that's the case, it should only take a few minutes to fix 'Raid King'. Giving the devs more time to work on that pesky sniper bug. Have I mentioned how annoying the sniper bug is?   Tongue
Ok, finally managed to test Ifirm, it seems to work fine, ignoring defense.

Thanks for the info about the behavior you're seeing with this ability. Given the team's focus, we may not be able to address this in the near future, but we've logged the issue.
Founder, Lead Designer on Hero Generations
http://www.twitter.com/brodiegames